I cannot repeat it enough: Pregnant women need to eat breakfast. Everyone needs some form of breakfast in the morning, and it’s the one meal no one should ever skip willingly. After hours of fasting, the body needs nourishment to continue carrying out its functions, especially when faced with the stressors and challenges of the day ahead. A pregnant woman’s body is like a factory– a factory that is open 24/7 and working at top speed the entire time. Its easy for a pregnant woman to deplete her nutrient stores and even more vital for her to replace her proteins and other nutrients regularly.
However, most people do not take the time for breakfast. In our busy lives it becomes the one meal we skip or plan to make up later in the morning or the day. Typically, that translates into purchasing something quick or doubling up on the amount of food consumed at lunch. Here is a healthier option: an easy, delicious, breakfast burrito.
This is not your traditional bacon and eggs breakfast. Instead you combine different flavors that meld together beautifully into a delicious meal ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Plus, when you make one batch, you’ll have enough burritos for meals throughout the week or to share with family or friends. These are so versatile that adding things like chicken, avocado, sliced beef or additional vegetables will only enhance the taste. The high protein, fiber and vitamins in these burritos will give you energy and curb your hunger for hours.
Perfect Breakfast Burritos
- 6 large tortillas (whole wheat, spinach or tomato are best, but any can be used)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 large egg whites
- ½ cup low fat shredded Colby, Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup mild salsa
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: Stab the sweet potatoes all around several times with a fork. Place in a microwave and cook on High 4-6 minutes or until cooked through. (Or, cook in a 400F oven for 40-45 minutes). Once cooked and slightly cooled, removed the skins and place the pulp in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a 2nd bowl, beat the egg whites.
- Spray a medium skillet (preferably nonstick) with vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add the egg whites and cook, folding occasionally until fluffy. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Assemble the burrito: Warm the tortillas to make them easier to roll and spread the mashed sweet potatoes on each tortilla.
- Add eggs, black beans, sprinkle of cumin, shredded cheese and a dollop of salsa on each tortilla, leaving about an inch on all sides free. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tuck in the end, fold the sides, and roll up the burrito, sealing the end.
- Serve with additional salsa or Greek yogurt.