Living in the Northeast, I look forward to spring and summer when fresh seafood becomes abundant. If I’m fortunate to travel during the long winter months to places like Florida or the Gulf states, I always look for one my favorite dishes: fish tacos.
Fish tacos have evolved; chefs have used different types of fish or other seafood, spices or seasonings to create delicious unique dishes. But most pregnant women wrongly avoid seafood because they believe that it’s dangerous or unhealthy. In a previous post, I wrote about what seafood is safe and what is a safe amount to consume while pregnant. So, while in south Florida, I developed this recipe to satisfy your craving for a seafood- based taco that is safe to eat when you’re pregnant too!
This shrimp taco recipe is a delicious, colorful combination of both sweet and savory. The shrimp provides protein while the other ingredients provide fiber, flavor and texture. It is simple to prepare, and the recipe can be doubled or tripled to make this a family meal, a lunch, or a perfect dish to bring for a party.
And it can be easily customized according to taste–feel free to add in more seasonings or spices or additional fruits, herbs, or diced vegetables for extra fiber or texture. The basic mix is so versatile that it can be made in advance and any leftovers can be combined with eggs, egg white, toasted bread, or pasta for an entirely different meal. The mixture also works well served over rice or lettuce and used as a salad or quick after work meal.
The possibilities with this dish are endless!
Confetti Shrimp Tacos
- 4 to 6 ounces medium fresh shrimp, peeled, cleaned and tails removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika (plus one pinch to season shrimp)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 corn tortillas
- ½ cup fresh or frozen yellow corn
- ½ medium mango, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, parsley and basil for garnish
- Season shrimp on both sides with salt and pepper and pinch of paprika.
- In a large non-stick skillet heated over medium-high heat, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side until pink and cooked through. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Rough chopped when slightly cooled.
- In a medium bowl, stir chopped shrimp, corn, mango, tomatoes, feta cheese, and lime juice.
- Warm the tortillas in a microwave (stack between slightly moistened paper towels on a microwave safe plate and heat 30 seconds to 1 minute on high heat) or warm in a skillet over medium heat, 20 to 30 seconds per side.
- Build the tacos by spooning shrimp mixture inside or over warm tortilla. Garnish with chopped cilantro, parsley and basil.
Featured photo by Luke Johnson