My focus in 2022 is to create recipes that are easy to make, healthy, and save time. Like many of you, I have discovered how convenient the Instant Pot is and I use it regularly. It’s just so easy and it makes delicious food. The Instant Pot is a mutlicooker and I love the premise: Dump it, Set it, and Forget it. Who doesn’t want that?
Multicookers work the same: they often perform several functions like a slow cooker, pressure cooker, air fryer, steamer or can saute. It saves space in your kitchen because this one machine does so many things. In this recipe, I use the pressure cooker feature. In a multicooker, the lid create a tight seal within the pot. As the temperature rises it gets higher than the boiling point of water and creates steam. The steam is locked in and cooks the food more quickly. When the cooking is done, the steam can dissipate or be released carefully. Modern multicookers like the Instant Pot are safe to use but I want to stress that you should read your multicooker’s safety instructions prior to using it.
This recipe is so simple- everything happens in one pot. I used an Instant Pot so I’m going to refer to that specific brand in this recipe. The chicken browns quickly using the saute function and then all the rest of the ingredients get added. The lid goes on and then the Instant Pot works its magic. When its done, green peas and some fresh herbs make it taste like you’ve cooked for hours. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
This recipe has protein from the chicken and fiber from the vegetables. Tomato paste, onion, garlic and herbs add in flavor. Together, this meal provides vitamins and minerals in a perfect portion size. This recipe is fine on its own or serve it over quinoa, farro, brown or wild rice for additional fiber and taste. This recipe can also be served over steamed green vegetables like broccoli or spinach. Feel free to add in additional spices according to your taste. The possibilities are endless!
Instant Pot: Chicken and Vegetables
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pat the chicken thighs dry. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute setting on High. Heat the olive oil. Saute the muchrooms, carrots, and onion until slightly softened, about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often
- Add in the chicken thighs, cherry tomatoes. Add in 1 cup of water and stir slightly
- Seal the Instant Pot lid. Switch the setting to Manual and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure.
- Once ready, use the quick pressure release to carefully unlock the lid
- Switch the Instant Pot setting back to Saute. Add in the green peas and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the basil and parsley or sprinkle it over each serving
Photo Credit: Farhad Ibrahimzade on Unsplash
One thought on “Instant Pot Meal: Classic Chicken & Vegetables”
Check out wonderful new comments in the Testimonials section!