Ever have one of those nights where you’re in a crunch to make dinner, yet you know your family is looking for something “different”? Chicken, especially chicken thighs, is always on my shopping list and I try to keep a package in my refrigerator because they’re so versatile and fit almost any recipe. The skinless, boneless chicken thighs stay moist and stand up to baking, broiling, and even the Instant Pot or slow cooker. However, trying to make chicken thighs tasty and satisfying can be a challenge- until now.
This recipe came to me on a whim. What I like about it is that I had all the ingredients in my kitchen already- it was only a matter of putting it all together in the right amounts. When I was done, I realized that anyone can make this recipe also and can adjust the ingredients to their taste: it can be sweeter, more salty, or even spicy. This recipe takes no time to prepare- if you have some extra time, let the chicken thighs marinate to build up more rich flavor. It pairs perfectly with any kind of vegetable, rice, or even a salad. The leftovers reheat into a second meal or dice the chicken and make it into a quick chicken salad with a unique taste. The possibilities are endless!
Brown Sugar Glazed Chicken Thighs
2 1/2 – 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlc
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
1-2 tablespoons corn starch
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, pinch of crushed red pepper, 1 tablespoon ketchup
- In a large (gallon size) plastic bag, place the chicken, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, olive oil, ginger and sesame oil, crushed red pepper and ketchup if using. Seal the bag and gently massage the chicken, tossing lightly to coat all parts of the chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with vegetable spray.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Do not discard the marinade. Bake the chicken on the foil line baking sheet for 30-40 minutes until cooked or an internal temperature of 170
- While the chicken is cooking, place the marinade in a small saucepan and add the cornstarch. Combine thoroughly. Heat the marinade to a low boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove chicken from the oven. Brush the thickened marinade over the chicken and let it set. Repeat 1-2 more times until the glaze is set
Photo credit: Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash
One thought on “BROWN SUGAR GLAZED CHICKEN THIGHS”
Cannot wait to try this beauty of a recipe!