Busy mornings are perfect for a healthy meal on the Go. In my upcoming cookbook there are recipes that use peanut butter as a key ingredient- and who doesn’t love peanut butter? Its a great source of protein but has the right combination of sweet and salty that satisfies cravings (especially for pregnant women!) and keeps you feeling full. This recipe is so easy: All the ingredients combine in one bowl and once its baked it gets cut into perfect sized squares to grab for breakfast, pack for lunch, have on hand for a snack, or for a late evening craving.
This recipe can be customized any way you like. I added a little bit of mini chocolate chips to mine but you can add in raisins, nuts, dried fruit, or even some rice cereal for taste and texture. You can use any kind of peanut butter you like, including natural, chunky, creamy or a combination. This recipe also works well with almond butter (but you may need to adjust the sweetness to your taste). The bars can be individually wrapped or stored in the refrigerator or freezer. They can be cut into bite-sized pieces or into 1 or 2 inch squares. The possibilities are endless! Try these the next time you’re planning for a busy week ahead.
PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL BREAKFAST BARS
Makes 8-10 bars (depending on size)
1 cup rolled oats (not the instant kind)
3/4 cup peanut butter (creamy, chunky or natural)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (non-fat, 2% or whole)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional- or the mix-ins of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, allowing some to overlap to lift the bars out of the pan easily
- In a large bowl (or in a stand up mixer), mix the rolled oats, peanut butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until combined
- Add the vanilla and milk until combined
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add it to the oat and peanut butter mixture until combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips (or whatever mix-ins you may be using)
- Press the mixture into the parchment-lined pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Gently lift the baked bars out of the pan using the parchment paper. Allow them to cool completely before slicing into the desired size and shape. Store in an air tight container or wrap individually. May be frozen or refrigerated.