The response to my recent post about cottage cheese toast was terrific! So many of you reported that you tried it, liked it, and that you modified the recipe in some way to add things like honey, a variety of fruits, or even some other cheeses. What I was surprised to read from many of you was how often the craving for savory and slightly salty occurs– especially for breakfast! Many readers tried the cottage cheese toast initially for breakfast, but also said it was an easy lunch or a go-to mid-afternoon snack.
Many of you asked for more recipes like the cottage cheese toast where some combination of cheese and bread could be used. The biggest request: Make it savory and less sweet. This recipe elevates toast to a more savory, delicious combination that everyone has been asking for.
Feta cheese offers a tangy, yet creamy bite. The best part: A little feta goes a long way. A few crumbles are often enough to provide a salty note to any dish. The kale, sautéed lightly with a touch of garlic, adds a touch of natural sweetness and texture that pairs well with, and mellows, the feta. This dish is delicious on its own, but you can easily add in any style of eggs and have a new take on eggs Florentine. Or add in some small pieces of leftover chicken, thin slices of beef or pork to add in more savory flavors. With the kale and feta as a base, the possibilities are endless!
Kale & Feta Toast
- 2 slices of multigrain bread with seeds (or try gluten free, rye, pumpernickel, or wheat bread or a multigrain English muffin)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped kale, stems removed (approximately 1 bunch of kale)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Optional: 2 eggs (poached, scrambled, fried or hard boiled and sliced), cooked chicken (crumbled or diced small), steak or pork sliced thin
- Toast bread as desired; set aside.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add kale, stir to coat. Cook until kale begins to soften, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in feta crumbles.
- If adding in eggs, crumbled chicken or thin sliced meat, place on top of toast.
- Spread kale and feta mixture on top of each slice of toast. Slice and enjoy!
Featured photo by Cathal Mac an Bheatha