People are focused today on high protein meal options. I am honored to belong to a food community and culture where people share recipes, ideas, and suggestions for healthier meal options. I am inspired by other people’s ideas, including a great website I came across that fits perfectly with the type of meals I think pregnant women, or women, families, or anyone who wants to eat healthier can follow. I stumbled across a terrific website, www.theironyou.com.
This website is run by a tri-athlete named Mike. His posts offer recipes, education, advice and suggestions for optimizing health and exercise. His recipes are easy to follow, so I am sharing a variation of one he recently posted, and I encourage everyone to check out his site. What I like about this recipe is that it makes a perfect, easy lunch or dinner for a pregnant woman on-the-go or her family. It’s simple and packed with great, flavorful ingredients.
This recipe can be customized easily, depending on your tastes. And it’s gluten-free, high in protein, and low in carbohydrates to keep you feeling full longer. Give this easy recipe a try– and check out more of Mike’s content!
Tomato & Avocado Burgers
- Vegetable spray or olive oil
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- ½ pound of ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon plus ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Large pinch of fresh sprouts, julienned basil or spinach (any fresh green works)
- Slice tomatoes in half. Using a spoon, scoop out tomato seeds and pulp. Set aside.
- Place half avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Add yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Dice remaining half of avocado and add to mix with ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir gently to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Mix well.
- Divide turkey mix into two. Form 2 patties approximately ½ inch thick.
- Heat a grill pan, skillet, or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Grill turkey patties 2 to3 minutes on each side until cooked. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a skillet or brush with olive oil. Cook tomato halves, open side down, 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown. Flip and cook the outside for 20-30 seconds to color the skin.
- Assemble the burgers: Place a large pinch of greens on the bottom part of the tomatoes. Top with a turkey patty, 1-2 tablespoons of avocado sauce, and top with tomato top.
Featured photo by Hermes Rivera