Toast is Hot again! Gone are the days of toasting crusty, doughy bread and lathering it with butter, jam, jelly or honey. Today the latest trend is to enjoy a healthy form of bread smeared with healthier options like protein-based spreads, savory toppings, or fresh fruits or vegetables. The result: a perfect breakfast, lunch or snack option that satisfies hunger, is easy to make, and versatile for any time of the day.
In previous posts like this one I discussed other creative ways to make toast useful, healthy meal or snack option. After talking to many women and Moms across the world I have another option to share: using cottage cheese and fruit to create a satisfying, delicious alternative for any meal. What I like about this option is the use of cottage cheese.
Benefits of Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese has a host of nutritious benefits. Cottage cheese is low in cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, and sugars while being high in proteins, B vitamins, and calcium. Its zinc, iron and phosphorous content make it an energy food. While cottage cheese may be an acquired taste, many pregnant women savor its salty-sweet flavor and like the subtle texture the curds provide. In addition, cottage cheese pairs well with a host of more dominant flavors like fruits or honey.
My suggestion would be to use fruits with pronounced flavors like black plums, peaches, bananas, or tart McIntosh apples. Adding drizzles of good quality honey or sprinkles of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg or chia seeds adds another layer of texture and depth of flavor. Basically, anything works with this recipe! Open your refrigerator and try your own unique combinations– and share them! The possibilities with this meal are endless!
Cottage Cheese Toast
- 2 slices of multigrain bread, toasted
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey (I recommend natural honey like the type I use from the Tanis Apiary in Pompton Plains, New Jersey)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sliced fruit like peaches, banana, strawberry, black or red plums, red grapes, or green apples
- Optional: Sprinkle of cardamom, nutmeg, wheat germ or chia seeds
- Mix cottage cheese, honey, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on warm toast.
- Top toast with fruit slices (or a combination of fruit slices).
- Drizzle toast with additional honey, natural maple syrup, a pinch of turbinado sugar (approximately ¼ teaspoon), wheat germ, cardamom, nutmeg or chia seeds. Add additional cinnamon if desired.