The adage about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is so true, especially for pregnant women. As humans, we spend at least 6 to 8 hours asleep each night without any intake of food or liquids. Even though we’re asleep, our organs and cells are still functioning, using the energy stores from the food we consumed previously. In pregnancy, a woman’s body is like a factory that is functioning non-stop with high output 24 hours per day. As I have mentioned before, nutrition in pregnancy is essential to keep this factory going.
Don’t Skip Breakfast
Pregnant women should not skip breakfast. They need to refuel their energy tank with a solid breakfast meal that will provide them enough calories and nutrients and energy for both themselves and their growing baby. Where most women go wrong is that they grab the fastest, easiest things they can for breakfast that is, most times, not the best option for them nutritionally.
A Quick Option: Cottage cheese toast!
At first, I was skeptical about how cottage cheese could be used to provide enough nutrition to sustain a woman throughout her day. But, when I discovered that cottage cheese is high in protein, B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc and phosphorous, my view changed. Plus, since its also low in cholesterol, calories and sodium, it’s a go-to option for anyone.
Here’s a fast, easy breakfast that pregnant women, or anyone, can use for breakfast. The energy this meal provides will get you through the morning and keep you feeling full until its time for a mid-morning snack or lunch.
Cottage Cheese Toast
- 2 slices of multi grain bread, toasted
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey (as always, I prefer the natural honey from an apiary like the Tanis Apiary in New Jersey)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sliced peaches, bananas, strawberries, black or red plums, red grapes, green or McIntosh apples
- Mix cottage cheese, honey, and cinnamon until smooth
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on warm toast
- Top with fruit slices- it can one be all slices of one fruit or a combination of several
- If desired, drizzle with additional honey, natural maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon of turbinado sugar, wheat germ, chia seeds, or additional cinnamon or nutmeg