Stir fry’s are the one of the easiest meals to prepare. Once all the ingredients are prepped, the meal is ready in minutes and typically loaded with flavor and complexity. They also reheat perfectly and can feed a large group or family easily.
So many of you have reached out to me to tell me how much you enjoyed my other stir fry recipes like this one with tofu or this one with chicken– thank you! And you’ve shared with me some of the creative ways you have changed around recipes. That’s great! I love hearing from all of you. Several of you have asked if I had something with more vegetable protein or recipes without meat that would work great as a lunch, dinner, brunch item, or a simple meal for a book club or team dinner. I have the perfect recipe for all of you!
My pea, edamame, and farro stir fry is easy, quick, and loaded with protein, nutrients and flavor. I love farro–it’s an ancient grain that is loaded with flavor and nutrients like fiber, protein and essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, zinc, and magnesium. Edamame is another nutrient-rich powerhouse that is loaded with protein (about 18 grams per cup), low in fat, and high in iron, fiber, calcium and magnesium. The combination of farro, edamame and peas add up to one delicious, nutritious meal.
This recipe can be customized any way you wish: try adding more vegetables, nuts, tofu, or whatever spice you like. The possibilities are endless!
Pea, Edamame and Farro Stir Fry
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup cooked farro
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed and drained
- ½ cup julienned fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. When oil is hot, add the egg, stirring constantly, until egg is cooked, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add remaining 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic salt & pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cooked egg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until farro, peas and edamame are heated through and thoroughly combined.
- Serve in bowls. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts, diced green onion, chives or finely chopped parsley.
Featured photo by Jonathan Farber