Avocados are a great source of protein. They are creamy, delicious, and versatile and hold up well in any kind of salad dressing or vinaigrette. They are packed with protein and fiber plus other essential nutrients. They pair well with tomatoes or other vegetables, herbs, nuts, or grains.
This avocado salad is the ideal lunch. The avocado provides fiber to keep you feeling full longer; plus the Israeli couscous provides additional healthy carbohydrates and fiber to make this salad satisfying and delicious. I add in black beans for additional protein, fiber, and flavor. Corn, scallions, cilantro and lime juice add great flavors, and you can pair them with your favorite salsa (homemade is best!) to make this lunch into a great dinner or brunch.
You can add in any flavors you like or even add in leftovers like cooked chicken, crumbled bacon, or vegetables– the possibilities are endless!
Avocado Salad with Couscous
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- ½ cup salsa (fresh or store bought)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, seeded and chopped
- Cook couscous according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, black beans, corn, scallions, cilantro or parsley, lime juice, and salsa.
- Add couscous and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add extra lime juice if needed.
- Add chopped avocado and serve immediately.