In the last decade, most modern restaurants have had some version of a taco on their menu. Taco Tuesday has grown to into tacos on almost any day of the week! I’m not surprised–tacos are the perfect easy, comfort food. The premise is perfect: take multiple, fresh ingredients that pair well together and place them into a crunch or soft tortilla to add extra taste and texture. Sprinkle on some favorite toppings, and you have a perfect meal.
But most of the seasonings for tacos are not the friendliest to pregnant women. Some can be spicy or too pungent despite the depth of flavor they provide. I think tacos are still an ideal meal for any woman or her family with a little modification.
My recipe focuses on using lean chicken as the main source of protein, but but you can also use salmon instead of chicken. The seasonings are subtle and can be tweaked depending on your tastes. Instead of dried spices, you use natural, fresh flavors. And it’s low in sodium, fat and cholesterol and high in protein.
This recipe can be doubled–or tripled!–and leftovers reheat perfectly for a lunch or another satisfying dinner another day. You can make a whole tray of these and keep them frozen for a later date. They’re also perfect for a party as an appetizer. Try this recipe with chicken, salmon, turkey, or lean pork and beef. Change up the seasonings however you wish--the possibilities with this recipe are endless!
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breast, cut into strips (or use salmon, lean pork, or lean beef)
- 2 limes, juiced and divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 multigrain tortillas
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine chicken, half the lime juice, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon paprika in a bowl. Marinate for 10-30 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, sauté tomatoes, onion, ½ teaspoon lime juice, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon paprika until onion is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a second non-stick skillet. Sauté over medium high heat until chicken is no longer pink, about 5-10 minutes.
- Layer tortillas between slightly moistened paper towels on a microwave safe plate. Heat until warm, about 10-20 seconds.
- Spoon chicken and vegetable mixture onto tortillas. Top with cilantro, lime juice squeeze, and a scoop of Greek yogurt or sour cream onto top. Serve alongside fresh green salad, yellow rice, or a bean salad.
Featured photo by Emily Simenauer