Snacking while pregnant should be easy and healthy, but very few pre-made snacks are healthy. In fact, many contain preservatives or sugars that add extra calories or fat. While sugars help fight off hunger or fatigue, the effects are temporary and often you feel even more hungry or irritable a short while after. What you need are snacks like these Strawberry Protein Bars– a snack that is high in fiber and nutrients to keep you feeling full longer and avoid the need for snacking on unhealthy options.
What I love about these Strawberry Protein Bars is how easy they are to make– with only 5 ingredients! And you can customize them with different flavors to make them even more satisfying. Unlike commercially-made snacks, these bars are high in nutrients like iron, calcium and potassium, and in protein thanks to the almond butter. You can even add protein powder to give them an extra boost.
The strawberry protein bars are gluten free and vegan and freeze well. Make a batch and keep them on hand when you’re craving something unique. Or individually wrap them and put them in backpacks, lunchboxes, your briefcase or bag to have a healthy snack on hand at any time. Your whole family can enjoy these!
Strawberry Protein Bars
- 2 ½ cups strawberries (fresh or frozen and thawed), mashed
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (Grade A best)
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ cup almond milk (flavored or unsweetened)
- 2 ounces of dark chocolate chopped or chips
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Optional: 1 cup vanilla or peanut butter protein powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 8-10 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process half the oats (1 ¼ cup) for 2 to 5 pulses. Do not over pulse or turn it into a fine powder mix.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. If using, add in any optional ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out moist with only a few small crumbs.
- Once cooled, use parchment to remove from baking pan. Slice into bars or squares and wrap individually with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container or plastic sealing bag.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top with additional chocolate or toasted nuts for extra taste and texture.
Featured photo by Alice Pasqual