Quinoa is such a versatile food, especially for pregnant women or anyone who is trying to eat healthy. It’s super easy to make and is relatively inexpensive. While many of you have used quinoa as a side dish, lately I’ve been asked “What else can I do with it?” I have the perfect solution!
Quinoa is actually a perfect ingredient for breakfast. It’s naturally high in plant protein and antioxidants. The complex carbohydrates and fiber help give you energy for your day and you feel full longer. When made into my Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, you get a delicious, nutritious and easy breakfast for yourself or your family. It has a great texture and smooth finish and can be eaten warm or cold, and it reheats beautifully. You can also change the taste by any topping you choose, or combinations of toppings. The possibilities with this dish are truly endless!
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk (light coconut milk or almond milk work also)
- ½ cup milk (2%, low fat or whole)
- 1 tablespoon honey* or maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Optional add ins: ½ cup raisins (golden or brown), dried cranberries, or dried currants
- Optional toppings: fresh blueberries, sliced banana, toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, chopped peanuts, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, toasted coconut flakes, chia seeds, mini chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes until fluffy (or according to package directions).
- With the heat on low, stir in coconut milk, milk honey or syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid but is not dry or stiff, about 5-7 minutes. If the quinoa becomes too dry, add more milk as needed. Stir in any add ins if using.
- Pour into a bowl, top with any choice or combination of toppings if using and enjoy!
*natural honey works best in this recipe. As always, I recommend natural honey from the Tanis Apiary in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey for the best quality, best tasting honey.
Featured phone by THE 5TH