When I created this Quinoa and Kale Scrambled Eggs recipe, I couldn’t figure out where I wanted to put it. It has eggs so it would be a great breakfast, but the kale and quinoa provide so many nutrients and energy that I thought it would be better as a lunch. However, this recipe was created with leftover ingredients, so then I thought it would be perfect for dinner. This recipe is great for any meal!
But I like it the most for lunch because it packs such a wonderful protein and fiber punch to stave off hunger during a workday and keep you feeling full all day long. This dish is so versatile that its great for a meal, snack, brunch entrée, late night snack, easy lunch, party item, hostess gift, family meal, ingredients in a wrap or sandwich, or any time you need a dish that’s super easy to make and feeds a crowd!
Quinoa and Kale Scrambled Eggs has about 11 grams of protein and has amazing texture and flavor. And it’s so easy to customize by simply changing up the seasonings; try adding za’atar, curry powders or garam masala. The ingredients too can be changed up depending on what you have on hand: try adding fresh basil, parsley and ½ cup of diced tomatoes. Try adding ½ cup diced boiled white or sweet potatoes or use different cheeses like a ¼ cup fresh shredded Fontina, mild cheddar or mozzarella.
This meal also pairs well with a slice of toasted whole wheat or multigrain bread or a wrap, toasted pita chips or even a simple flatbread. Try adding some of my Perfect Pesto or a combination of cheeses or even a sprinkle of your favorite chopped nuts–the possibilities are endless!
Quinoa and Kale Scrambled Eggs
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk (2% or low fat)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, oregano, basil and parsley until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add kale and sauté until kale is slightly softened and bright green, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the kale in the skillet. Allow the eggs to cook over medium heat until they begin to set or slightly firm. Avoid stirring.
- Add quinoa and begin to scramble the eggs by dragging a spatula or wooden spoon across the eggs diagonally, corner to corner, until the eggs are set but still soft and slightly creamy or of a desired consistency.
- Serve with toasted bread, fresh fruit, a side salad, mixed with additional green beans or peas, or alongside chicken or thin sliced beef.
Featured photo by Jennifer Kim