So many of you have told me that, whether pregnant or not, the craving something with chocolate is strong. Chocolate is truly a unique, sensational taste that is hard to duplicate and even harder to substitute for. Many of my recipes incorporate some element of chocolate flavor into them but few have it as a star ingredient- until now!
Brownies are the ultimate chocolate comfort food! These brownies will become your next go-to favorite. They are super simple to make and can be mixed all in one bowl. You can make them moist and fudgey or more cake-like just by changing the length of time you bake them (i.e. cook less for more fudge-like brownies and longer for more cake-like texture).
These brownies use Greek yogurt to keep them moist and I substitute Stevia for regular white sugar (I can use less of it and get the same taste). These brownies can be cut into small snack size pieces and store well for up to one week in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze for up to one month. These brownies are perfect to bring to a party or to give someone as a sweet gift.
Try using different types of chocolate or add in different flavors like raisins, cranberries, nuts or seeds or use them as toppings–the possibilities are endless!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Stevia
- 5 tablespoons milk (nonfat, low fat or 2%)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking dish with vegetable spray or use overlapping pieces of parchment paper to line the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, egg whites, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Stir in Greek yogurt and mix well.
- Stir in the Stevia and milk and mix well.
- Add in the cocoa powder and baking powder and mix well.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes depending on which texture you prefer for the brownies.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice when cooled into squares.
Featured photo by Shania Pinnata