Take out restaurants have also taken a hit with the Covid-19 pandemic. While many try to stay open, some have had to limit their hours or change their operations to accommodate local rules or regulations. People, however, miss their takeout food, especially those with Asian flavors. The good news is that most Asian-inspired dishes are easy to make if you have all the ingredients. This recipe is a way to bring a taste of Asian cuisine to your own home without a lot of the preservatives, fat, or MSG common in many take out restaurants.
This dish provides the protein of shrimp and eggs together with a pop of flavor from herbs like chives, garlic and ginger for a truly Cantonese taste. If you can find Chinese chives, use those for an even more pronounced pop of flavor. The key to this recipe is to brine the shrimp before cooking to prevent the shrimp from softening or becoming rubbery. The shrimp can also be substituted with chicken, pork, or firm tofu. No wok? No problem! Just use a pot with high sides and enough room to stir the ingredients around. Be sure to add the garlic and ginger last to prevent scorching. Like most Asian dishes or stir-fried meals, this dish cooks quickly so I recommend having all your ingredients prepped and ready before you start cooking.
Stir Fried Shrimp with Eggs
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup diced chives
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- In a medium bowl, cover the shrimp with cold water and stir in the baking soda. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the shrimp under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Transfer the shrimp to a small bowl and add 1 teaspoon of oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon white pepper. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and the remaining ¼ teaspoon white pepper and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat until lightly smoking. Add the shrimp and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chives, garlic and ginger and stir fry until the chives soften and the shrimp are just cooked, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok over high heat until lightly smoking. Add the eggs and lower the heat to medium and cook without stirring the eggs until the bottom layer of the eggs begins to set, about 30-45 seconds.
- Using a spatula, scrape the eggs from the sides of the wok until some large, fluffy sections of cooked eggs have formed and the eggs are halfway cooked but slightly watery.
- Add shrimp and chives mixture to the eggs and gently stir until the eggs are softly cooked.
- Transfer to a plate and serve immediately. Garnish with additional chives, chopped fresh parsley, fresh sprouts, chopped scallions or diced peanuts.
Featured photo by Karen Tsoi