Banana pudding is a classic! Every region of the world has some version of banana pudding because it’s a unique taste that is satisfying and delicious. However, banana pudding can be time-consuming to make. I set out to find a way to make this amazing dessert easier.
My version makes the base pudding the star. Its easy to prepare and free of milk, fat, and gluten. My recipe is low in sodium and sugar yet high in fiber, especially since the bananas in this recipe are kept whole. The almond milk is a unique twist that adds a nutty flavor to highlight the bananas and keep the pudding creamy.
Make this pudding for a sensational dessert after a dinner party, or it makes a healthy dish to bring or serve to a pregnant family. You can add more bananas or sprinkle with a variety of toppings like fresh whipped cream, Greek yogurt, diced walnuts, a dusting of cocoa powder, or even some mini chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless!
Easy Banana Pudding
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons flour or oat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 bananas, sliced (slightly ripe bananas are best)
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Optional: fresh whipped cream, Greek yogurt, diced walnuts, a dusting of cocoa powder, or mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with ¼ cup of sugar until creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ¼ cup of sugar with flour, salt and nutmeg. Add almond milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of the egg and sugar mixture slowly into the flour and almond milk mixture to temper. Add the remaining egg mixture into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
- When cooled, add vanilla and almond extracts until thoroughly combined.
- Prepare the pudding: in decorative glass, serving dish, glass bowl, or individual ramekins, layer pudding mixture and sliced bananas alternatively, ending with a layer of pudding mixture.
- Chill and refrigerate at least one hour. Garnish with fresh whipped cream, Greek yogurt, diced walnuts, a dusting of cocoa powder, or mini chocolate chips.