There are some nights I just want to make dinner quickly and then take time to relax (anyone here know the feeling?). Most people think that cooking is too complicated and requires too much time and effort to make a great meal. Throughout this journey with all of you, I made a promise to purposely find ways to make great food as easy as possible. This Chicken & Mushrooms recipe is one of those recipes!
What I like about this Chicken & Mushrooms meal is that I usually have all these ingredients in my refrigerator. I was able to create a fantastic pan sauce that can be spooned over the chicken or the side dish to add extra flavor and keep the dish moist. It tastes even better reheated and works well as a dinner, lunch, brunch dish, or the perfect dish to bring to a dinner party. This recipe can also be modified by removing the alcohol and adding different kinds of broths to make deeper, richer flavors. Side dishes like vegetables or a salad or serving this dish over spiralized vegetables or grains like quinoa take its flavor to whole other level.
This possibilities with this recipe, like so many of my other recipes, are endless!
Chicken & Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth, divided
- ½ cup dry white wine or sherry (optional)
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all- purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (white, Portobello, or cremini)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a large, non- stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt in 1 tablespoon of butter and add in the onions, mushrooms. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until onions are translucent and softened. Add in the garlic and ¼ cup chicken broth and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Uncover for 4 to 5 minutes until most of the liquid evaporates. Add wine or sherry if using and stir to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and coat lightly in flour.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in skillet and add chicken. Cook on each side until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from platter, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Return mushroom mixture to skillet and add in remaining ¼ cup chicken broth and scrape any remaining brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Optional: Add in another 1 tablespoon of butter for a smooth, glossy sauce.
- Add the chicken and any of its juices back to the pan. Heat through over low heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve chicken over rice, quinoa, spiralized vegetables, or whole wheat pasta. Pour mushroom sauce over chicken. Serve alongside steamed broccoli, green beans, asparagus or a crispy tossed salad, arugula salad or kale salad.
Photo by Ben Lei
One thought on “Chicken & Mushrooms”