Snacks or easy, healthy desserts can be made from a variety of flavors. In the past I have posted several recipes with some of my favorite ingredients or flavors like peanut butter and chocolate!) but I wanted to take a different direction and introduce an easy, delicious treat that can be used as a snack, a dessert, or even as for breakfast on-the-go!
This recipe uses the warm spice of ginger to create a unique flavor and texture. There’s plenty of crunch to complement the chewiness from the coconut. Since cereal and oat provide the bulk for these bars, you can also make this gluten free. Don’t have cereal? Just add in extra oats. There’s no way to go wrong with this recipe and you can easily change up the nuts or fruits you use to make it your own. The possibilities are endless!
Ginger Vanilla Crunch Bars
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup of your favorite flaked cereal (cornflakes, bran flakes)
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or natural honey
- 2 tablespoons milk (whole, 2%, soy, almond or cashew)
- ½ cup chopped, pitted dates
- 2 scoops protein powder (plain or vanilla flavor)
- Preheat the over to 325F. Line a 9×9 or 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add oats, cereal, almonds, coconut and ginger. Stir to combine.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, maple syrup or honey, milk, dates and protein powder. Stir occasionally.
- When butter mixture is melted and smooth, pour over the oat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spread the oat mix into the prepared pan. Use water or vegetable oil spray on your hands to help spread and press the mix evenly into the pan and into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares or triangles. Store in an airtight container or wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap for up to a week. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Featured photo by Jade Wulfraat