I’m catching on to the 5 Ingredient craze! Thanks to chefs like Jamie Oliver I have come to appreciate that a great meal can be made with just a few simple ingredients- and often with things I already have on hand. It led me to experiment and try to come up with easy recipes that would work if you’re pressed for time or just not in the mood to cook. This recipe worked perfectly!
First, its in the slow cooker (how much easier can you get?) It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and its made with ingredients I already had in the house. I set the slow cooker up at lunch and dinner was ready by the end of the work day. Chicken thighs are perfect for this dish: inexpensive and become very tender from time in the slow cooker. The sauce added a lot of great flavor (not too sweet, not too tangy) and it makes a nice crust on the chicken if you leave the skin on and vent the slow cooker lid toward the last 30-40 minutes of cooking. Pair it with a salad, steamed vegetables, or wild rice and you have enough for a second portion or leftovers. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
Jelly was the unexpected ingredient to make this sauce taste amazing. You can use any flavor you have on hand but I recommend avoiding anything with seeds so they don’t burn while cooking. If time permits, you can thicken the sauce easily on the stove top to pour over the chicken or vegetables. Try different jellies and see which flavor you prefer. Feel free to add in spices or hot sauce if your prefer. Want it less sweet? Cut back on the ketchup or the jelly. Want it sweeter? Try adding in more jelly, some brown sugar or even maple syrup. The possibilities are endless!
Photo Credit: Chad Montano on Upslash
5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken
4-6 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on preferred but OK to use skinless and boneless)
1 cup jelly (grape best, but OK to use any other seedless flavor)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup low or no sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the chicken thighs on the bottom of the slow cooker
- In a medium bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients. Pour over the chicken thighs.
- Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 4 hours. To crisp the skin, vent the lid for the last 30-40 minutes.
- If preferred, thicken the sauce: Take 1 cup of the remaining sauce and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat to low, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency. Spoon over chicken.
- Serve with a salad, steamed vegetables or wild rice.